Friday, October 5, 2018

Hello from a Dark Place

Hello from a dark place.

We're inside the event horizon here. Not even light can escape, much less a thought or a story, so if you're reading this, it means you're stuck here too. This station was built to sit beyond the horizon, exotic alloys and composites built to prevent gravity from pulping us into pasta, but we miscalculated. It's falling, and nothing can stop that now.

Welcome to your new and final home. I've got good news and bad news for you black hole buddy. 

Bad news is, there ain't no escape. Believe me, I've tried, but the station's damaged and was built for stasis, not travel. Anyway, with the nature of the singularity and space-time dilation means you are here for the duration, and you are here alone. There's just the steady and inevitable descent for you and I, and our choices are reduced to going head or feet first. 

Bummer, huh.

The good news? Sorry, there is no good news. That was just me trying to cheer you up. There's just the consolation that I can leave this note, a dead thing that will live on after me, and in this way reach beyond the horizon of light and gravity and time.

So, hello out there. Welcome to the dark place.   

No comments:

Post a Comment