Saturday, July 21, 2018

The Legend of Sargon

The mother changed her face, the son changed the land. The father tilled the earth, the son cultivated men. The king gave him a cup, the cup-bearer took the throne. The rivers washed the babe, his armies washed their swords in the sea.

* * *

Inspired by the Legend of Sargon inscription, the beginning of which runs like this:

Sargon, the mighty king, king of Agade, am I.
My mother was a changeling, my father I knew not.
The brother(s) of my father loved the hills.
My city is Azupiranu, which is situated on the banks of the Euphrates.
My changeling mother conceived me, in secret she bore me.
She set me in a basket of rushes, with bitumen she sealed my lid.
She cast me into the river which rose not (over) me,
The river bore me up and carried me to Akki, the drawer of water.
Akki, the drawer of water lifted me out as he dipped his e[w]er.
Akki, the drawer of water, [took me] as his son (and) reared me.
Akki, the drawer of water, appointed me as his gardener ... 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment